Thursday, March 31, 2011

Confrontation of Error

Scripture:

My brothers, if any among you strays from the truth, and someone turns him back,

he should know that whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his life from death and cover a multitude of sins.
James 5:19-20


Observation:

And here we come to the end of the book. These are James’ last words to the “12 tribes in the Dispersion.” He has spent all of this time giving instructions for how to live. He’s talked about many topics, including trials, wisdom, anger, happiness, worship, grace, faith, maturity, the tongue, humility, pride, finances, and prayer. And his last words are instructing us to help point believers (specifically those straying from the Truth) back to Jesus.

This should not be done in a judgmental or condescending way, but rather as an act of love for the person who is straying. It’s important to point out that James is talking about the Truth with a capital T here. He is not saying we are to correct a person whose theology does not agree with our own. In fact, we are NOT to do this! We are only to address issues related to objective Truth. In order to be able to do this, we need to have maturity in our faith. Maturity to understand which doctrinal issues are objective Truth versus those which are a matter of personal conviction.


Application:

It is so imperative to make sure the log is out of my own eye before addressing the speck in someone else’s! The type of confrontation James is talking about here is ONLY to be done under the guidance of the Holy Spirit! And it is vital to be humble enough to be open to correction myself before even thinking about addressing someone else’s “straying!”


Prayer:

Father, cleanse me and make me wholly Yours! Thank You for speaking to me through the book of James. May the Truths You have shown me make a difference in my life from this point forward. Don’t let me forget the things You have so clearly taught me. Thank You for loving (even) me enough to refine me!

1 comment: