Friday, March 25, 2011

Mean What You Say

Scripture:

Now above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. Your “yes” must be “yes,” and your “no” must be “no,” so that you won’t fall under judgment.
James 5:12


Observation:

“Above all,” (more than all the other things James has instructed believers to do thus far in his letter), James says, “do not swear.” James is not talking about using offensive language. He is saying do not vow, or offer a pledge or other guarantee so as to add value to your words. He is saying, if you say “yes,” then mean “yes.” If you say “no,” then mean “no.”


Application:

It comes down to a matter of integrity. People should be able to trust that a Believer will do what s/he says without needing extra collateral. If I say I will do something, it’s not permissible to not do it and then say “well, I didn’t promise I would do it.” So this verse has three applications for us today.

We must:
  1. Mean what we say
  2. Say what we mean
  3. Do what we say we will do
Prayer:

Father, forgive me for times when I have spoken without thinking and then not followed through on what I said I would do. Help me to mean what I say, say what I mean, and do what I say I will do. Show me when to keep my mouth shut and not say anything at all. And thank You, in advance, that You have heard and will answer me! I love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment