Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yearning Patiently

Scripture:

Therefore, brothers, be patient until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth and is patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains.

You also must be patient. Strengthen your hearts, because the Lord’s coming is near.

Brothers, do not complain about one another, so that you will not be judged. Look, the judge stands at the door!
James 5:7-9


Observation:

In this passage, James is addressing his Christian brothers and sisters, those who are waiting with him for the Lord’s return. He encourages them to wait patiently and to strengthen their hearts. They were living in tumultuous times. James was actually martyred, shortly after writing this book, because he refused to renounce Christ. These people were longing, hungering, yearning for the return of their Friend, Lord, and Savior. James is encouraging them to persevere.

James also is encouraging them to “strengthen [their] hearts.” The word heart can refer to the mind and will as well as the emotions. The word “strengthen” here indicates they are to “place firmly, set fast” or “to render constant, confirm, one’s mind.” In other words, they are to choose to focus on conforming their minds, hearts, and will to the Word of God, because Jesus is coming soon!

Finally, James tells them not to complain about each other, because grumbling about others is putting the grumbler in a place where s/he is open to greater judgment (see Matthew 7:2).


Application:

  1. I don’t understand what martyrdom is like. But I do want to hunger, to yearn, for Jesus’ return in like fashion as the early church.
  2. I am responsible to keep renewing my mind (see Romans 12:2), and to strive to conform my mind, will, and emotions to those of Jesus.
    • Scripture memory is essential. I need to step up my Scripture memory and be more committed to it than just a couple of days each month.
    • Daily Scripture reading is also essential,
    • as is regular, ongoing Bible study
    • It is also important to monitor what goes in to my mind. It’s so easy to become desensitized to worldly standards when I am inundated with ungodly messages.
  3. I need to be careful of my words, and be sure to not be complaining (in word or thought) about my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Prayer:
Almighty, amazing, indescribable God, forgive me for the times my tongue has failed to speak kindly about Your children! And forgive me for not being more attentive to Your Word. Fill me with a hunger for Your return, and a hunger to be saturated in Your Word. Open my eyes and ears to see and understand more clearly what You are speaking to me. Thank You for Your grace, Your lovingkindness, and for listening to and answering the cry of my heart! In Jesus’ precious, holy, wonderful Name! Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your personal applications this morning. I am visiting from GMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from GMG. Appreciated your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete