Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pursued

Scripture:

Adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward god? So whoever wants to be the world’s friend becomes God’s enemy.

Or do you think it’s without reason the Scripture says that the Spirit He has caused to live in us yearns jealously?

But He gives greater grace. Therefore He says: God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
James 4:4-6


Observation:

Pride is, basically, saying that I know more than God does. It’s pretty insidious and can show up in the most unexpected places. For example, low self-esteem is a form of pride. (If I say I am worthless while God calls me the apple of His eye, I’m saying I know more than He does.) Discontentment is also a form of pride. (If I say I believe God is in control, and then spend my time being unhappy with the circumstances He has allowed me to be in for reasons known [perhaps only] to Him, I am saying I know more than He does.) There are many other (surprising) forms of pride, including distrust, fear, criticism (of self or others), and discrimination. Anytime we say, believe, or do something contrary to God’s Word, that is a form of pride.

God says we cannot be friends of the world and friends of His. God says there are no fence-sitters. And yet, when we turn our back on God to pursue friendship with the world, He “yearns jealously” for us. “Yearns jealously” can refer to pursing with love. God loves us too much to leave us in the world, so He pursues us. BUT He gives us a choice in whether or not we respond to His pursuit. How should we respond? We need to humble ourself. God “gives grace [merciful kindness] to the humble.” And God’s grace


Application:

Are there areas of life where you have turned from God and made friends with the world? Will you respond to His gentle call for you to return to Him? He loves you so much!

Prayer:

Father, I lift before You each woman who is reading this today. I pray You would speak to each heart, and draw back any of us who may have strayed from Your perfect plan. Thank You, God, for pursuing us and allowing us to return to You when we have strayed! Thank You for Your truly amazing Grace!

2 comments:

  1. This passage has been such a challenging blessing. Does that make sense? lol It is so easy to get caught up with what the world says we must do and have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Challenging blessing" ... what a great way to say it! :)

    ReplyDelete