Friday, March 18, 2011

Not Doing So Is Sin

Scripture:

So, for the person who knows to do good and doesn’t do it, it is a sin.
James 4:17


Observation:

I first heard the term “sin of omission” as an adolescent. And, quite honestly, at that time I was petrified I would somehow miss God’s will for my life and be walking in sin without realizing that I was. Then a Sunday School teacher taught me that God looks at the heart, so if it was my desire to be honoring Him, He would see and know that and would guide me accordingly. So that calmed my fears about missing God’s will.

As I was studying this verse this week, I saw something I hadn’t seen before. The Greek word for “knows” (oikeios) refers to an intimate knowing, a belonging to a household or family.

So I propose that this verse is saying, to those who belong to the house of God (to those who are His family), we are responsible for doing the good that He has taught us to be True. Once God has shown us a Truth, we cannot simply say “that’s nice, thanks” and go on with life as usual. We must let that Truth transform us more into His likeness. Not allowing that transformation to happen, being stubborn and refusing to let Him teach us and refine us, that is sin.


Application:

I must respond to the things God is teaching me, and allow those Truths to transform my life. I cannot be caught up in fear that what He wants to teach me will be too “hard” to walk out (and so try to shut my ears to what He is telling me). I must remain pliable to His refinement. He won’t force me to accept His cleansing and refining. But not doing so is sin.


Prayer:

From Isaiah 45:9, 12-13, 18:

Forgive me, LORD God, Creator of the Universe, for the times when I have quarreled with You! You are the Potter, I am but an earthenware vessel. You made the earth, and You created me on it. I know You will make all my ways smooth. You are the LORD, there is no one else!

No comments:

Post a Comment