Thursday, March 17, 2011

Acting In My Own Accord

Scripture:

But as it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
James 4:16


Observation:

Some definitions from The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon:
  • Boast: to glory, whether with reason or without, on account of a thing
  • Arrogance: an insolent and empty assurance, which trusts in its own power and resources and shamefully despises and violates divine laws and human rights
  • Evil: full of labors, annoyances, hardships; causing pain and trouble; wicked, bad
Taking credit, and/or trusting in our own abilities and resources (especially to the extent that we disregard God and others) is called evil in this verse. That’s a strong statement. It certainly reflects that God means business. Boasting and arrogance are sin and have no place in the Christian walk.


Application:

Boasting and arrogance can both happen so insidiously in our culture. If God doesn’t move fast enough for my liking, I may take matters into my own hands. OR, if I have a particular skill or talent in an area, I may not wait for God’s movement, but may speak or act on my own accord. It’s important to be aware that this is serious business, and these things need to be avoided AND repented of.


Prayer:

Father, forgive me for the times I’ve spoken or acted on my own accord! I commit today to seek to follow Your perfect will. I want to join You where You are working instead of expecting You to join me!

1 comment: