Thursday, March 3, 2011

How to Have Godly Wisdom

Scripture:

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without favoritism and hypocrisy.
James 3:17


Observation:

Godly wisdom:
  • is pure from every fault, immaculate
  • brings peace with it
  • is suitable and equitable
  • is reasonable
  • fills the mind and emotions with kindness or good will toward others, and shows a desire to help them (by doing it)
  • fills the mind and emotions with good, pleasant, and joyful thoughts and feelings
  • is sincere
Application:

This verse tells us what godly wisdom is, but it doesn’t tell us how to obtain it. And that’s my question. This is what it is, how do I get it?

I think the answer is found in Philippians 2:4-12. These verses tell us we are to have the mind of Jesus in us. So here’s how we do this:

  1. Know
    • Learn His mind
      • spend time studying His Word
      • pray
        • talk to God
        • listen to what He says to us
  2. Yield
    • Understand true humility
      • know who God is
      • know who we are
  3. Obey
    • Be RADICALLY obedient to what He tells us to do
  4. Love
    • Love God
    • Love others
Prayer:“I know that You can do anything and no plan of Yours can be thwarted. [You asked,] ‘Who is this who conceals [My] counsel with ignorance?’ Surely I spoke about things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. [You said,] ‘Listen now, and I will speak. When I question you, you will inform Me.’ I had heard rumors about You, but now my eyes have seen You. Therefore I take back [my words] and repent in dust and ashes.”

Job 42:2-6 HCSB

No comments:

Post a Comment