Friday, February 25, 2011

Unnatural Speech

Scripture:

Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things should not be this way.

Does a spring pour out sweet and bitter water from the same opening?

Can a fig tree produce olives, my brothers, or a grapevine [produce] figs? Neither can a saltwater spring yield fresh water.
James 3:10-12


Observation:

James says the same mouth should not speak blessing and cursing. Why? Because what comes out of the mouth reflects what is in the heart (see Luke 6:45). In verse 9, James refers to people who are speaking positively about God, and talking as if they are living life in a way pleasing to Him, but they are also speaking offensively, in anger, or with annoyance, toward and/or about God’s creation (specifically other humans). James is using the object lessons of the fig tree and the grapevine to show that it is unnatural for the Christian to speak in such a way.


Application:

I must be sure my heart is in line with God’s heart.

I must be sure my speech is honoring to God.

I must be sure I am not speaking about others in a way dishonoring to God


Prayer:

Here is my heart, Lord. I give it to You. Make it in line with Yours, I pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment