Friday, February 18, 2011

Believe and Do

Scripture:

And in the same way, wasn’t Rahab the prostitute also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by a different route?

For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
James 2:25-26


Observation:

Another account of works resulting from faith: Rahab believed the spies were sent from God and that they would be her only hope of salvation when her city (Jericho) was destroyed. If she had simply believed they could help her without acting on that belief, she would have died with all the other people in Jericho.

All of this section of Scripture leads to this phrase: “faith without works is dead.” A living faith results in works. Works don’t save us. Faith in Jesus saves us. But true faith is acted out in our lives.


Application:

Our good works do not save us. Rather, our good works are the natural fruit of a living faith in Jesus Christ. My response to this must NOT be to simply get busier, but my response MUST be (and is) a commitment to follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit in serving others with the gifts and skills He has given me.

Action is an integral part of true faith. Believing goes hand in hand with doing.


Prayer:

Father, I commit to following You even when it’s hard. I will serve You and others to the best of my ability. Forgive me for the times when my actions have not reflected my faith and trust in You. Lord Jesus Christ, live Your life through me!

No comments:

Post a Comment