Thursday, February 10, 2011

How do I REALLY love my neighbor?????

Scripture:

If you really carry out the royal law prescribed in Scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you are doing well.

But if you show favoritism, you commit sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

For whoever keeps the entire law, yet fails in one point, is guilty of [breaking it] all.

For He who said, Do not commit adultery, also said, Do not murder. So if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you are a lawbreaker.

James 2:8-11


Observation:

Here is an “aha” moment...Why has James spent so much time talking about favoritism and partiality? He’s been leading up to this moment! He writes ”you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Since this is a commandment, and partiality violates this commandment, partiality is sin. And someone who sins in any part of the law is a lawbreaker....guilty of violating the whole law. There are no degrees of bad. It is not possible to sin a little. And failure to “love your neighbor as yourself” is sin. So it is important to do it. And it’s important to know what loving your neighbor LOOKS like!

The greek word for “love” used here is agapao. When referring to persons, agapao means “to welcome, to entertain, to be fond of, to love dearly.” REALLY? How many of us are “fond of” or “dearly love” everyone we meet? (Remember Jesus’s description of a “neighbor” in the parable of the good Samaritan in Luke 10?)



Application:

We can see that loving our neighbor is not optional. So, what are some concrete ways I can show love my neighbor?

  1. Extend hospitality (“welcome” and “entertain”) by having people into my home
  2. Look for the positives (strengths) of each person I encounter
  3. Recognize that truly loving my neighbor in my own strength is impossible
  4. Ask Jesus to fill me with HIS love for others
What are some concrete ways YOU can show love to your neighbor?


Prayer:

Father, help me to Love others like You love them! Forgive me for the times I have failed to do so. Fill me with Your love so completely that it overflows onto those around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment