Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Guides

Scripture:

Now when we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we also guide the whole animal.

And consider ships: though very large and driven by fierce winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs.
James 3:3-4


Observation:

Consider the immensity of the horse compared to the bit.

Now consider the size of the ship compared to the rudder.

These two, comparatively small, objects are used to reflect the will of the rider or pilot.

When the bit is pulled on by the reins, the horse turns in the direction indicated. And if the bit is pulled on too hard, the horse stops and goes no further. Not because of the desire of the bit, but because of the will (and subsequent actions) of the rider.

When the rudder is turned, the ship is guided into the direction desired by the pilot. If the rudder is turned the wrong way, the entire ship goes down the wrong path. Not because of the rudder’s decision, but because of the decision of the person controlling the rudder.

James uses these similes to introduce the concept of the impact the words we speak can have on circumstances around us. We will look more at this throughout this week.


Application:

The rider and the pilot each make the decisions about the direction of the horse and the ship, and guide the bit and rudder accordingly. But if either the bit or rudder is misused, the desired outcome is not achieved.

The choices I make each day, consciously or subconsciously, are reflected in the words I use. I want the words I use each day to reflect that I am making choices honoring to my Lord. My desire is that my will lines up with His each moment of every day....


Prayer:

Father God, line my will up with Yours, and guide my tongue accordingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment