Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Speech Reflects My Heart

Scripture:

So too, though the tongue is a small part [of the body], it boasts great things. Consider how large a forest a small fire ignites.

And the tongue is a fire. The tongue, a world of unrighteousness, is placed among the parts of our [bodies]; it pollutes the whole body, sets the course of life on fire, and is set on fire by hell.
James 3:5-6


Observation:

The tongue is a small part of the body, but much like the rudder of a ship or a bit in a horses mouth the tongue can have great influence over the direction of our lives. Also, much like the rudder or bit, the tongue does not have a will of its own, but instead reflects the desires and choices of the one using it.

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6:45 ESV)


Much like a careless spark can start a forest fire, a careless word spoken can wreak havoc and cause great devastation to those around it.

It is not possible (in this life) to know the full extent of the impact of the words we speak, both negative and positive effects can be experienced by the hearer.

John Gill says “a bridled and sanctified tongue, that is influenced by the grace of God, and directed by the Spirit of God, as it speaks great and good things ... has great power, weight, and influence: the tongue of the just is as choice silver, and the lips of the righteous feed many.”


Application:

I need to be aware that what I say WILL have an impact on those who hear it. It is crucial that my words reflect the will of my Father. I need to be aware of the words that I speak, both for those who hear, and as a barometer for where my heart is. I need to be conscious to speak only those things that encourage and build up those around me!

No rotten talk should come from your mouth, but only what is good for the building up of someone in need, in order to give grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29 HCSB)


Prayer:

Lord, may my heart line up with Your will! Refine my heart, I pray!

2 comments:

  1. I found your post through the GMG link-up, I too am doing the James study. This week has been VERY eye-opening. Love your prayer, REFINE my heart....that word REFINE is my 1-word for 2011 and believe me, He is doing a good job showing me the things in my life that need refining. =)

    I really like the verse you posted Eph. 4:29...but ONLY what is good for the building up of someone in need.... I think everyone is in need and deserves to be encouraged, loved, and built up, regardless of how we are feeling. We need to be the hands, feet, and words of Christ.

    Thank you for sharing your SOAP! Love it.

    Keeping it Personal,
    Teri Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our words can uplift or destroy. This is definitely true. Life and death are in the power of the tongue, as Proverbs says.

    ReplyDelete