Friday, February 11, 2011

True Freedom

I apologize for the late posting!



Scripture:

Speak and act as those who will be judged by the law of freedom.

For judgment is without mercy to the one who hasn’t shown mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
James 2:12-13


Observation:

Interestingly, these verses give us both an imperative and an explanation. James has already called himself a bond-servant, and bond-servants are supposed to obey the commands without expecting an explanation. So why is James giving an explanation?

There is SO MUCH to unpack in these short verses. But since I’m already late with this post, I’m going to focus on just a few things. :)

1) We are to talk and behave as people who are free, and TRUE freedom is living as Christ wants us to, not as we please.

2) We are to show kindness (and helpfulness) to others, just as Christ showed mercy to us (by NOT giving us the judgment we deserved).

3) Christ’s mercy is the perfect example to us of what extending kindness (mercy) instead of condemnation (judgment) looks like.


Application:

True freedom includes loving others the way Jesus loves me. And that love involves action. So this week, I’m going to look for three specific ways to show love to people I encounter. Will you join me? If you do this, will you email me about the way God worked in one of those situations? I would love to hear about how Jesus worked through you!


Prayer:

Lord open my eyes to see the needs around me, and show me how to use the resources you’ve given me to show them Your love for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment