Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Glorifying Jesus In Word, Thought, AND Deed

Scripture:

Listen, my dear brothers: Didn’t God choose the poor in this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom that He has promised to those who love Him?

Yet you dishonored that poor man. Don’t the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?

Don’t they blaspheme the noble name that you bear?
James 2:5-7


Observation:

We are to honor those whom God has honored, and not to treat them with contempt (“dishonored” can mean treated with contempt in word, thought, or deed). Often the poor are the ones whom God chooses to make His own, while the rich are often those who are oppressing the Christians to whom James writes.

Now, I am in no way saying we should be categorizing the rich as blasphemers and the poor as holy, and I don’t believe James is saying this either. I believe James is saying we cannot make assumptions about how God sees people based on their perceived social or financial statuses.


Application:

It’s not about how much money or how many material possessions a person has. It’s about his/her personal relationship with Jesus, and his/her individual striving to honor Jesus in all that s/he does.

Am I striving to honor Jesus in all I say, think, and do? Do I consistently aim to glorify Him with my life, in word, thought, and deed?


Prayer:

In all aspects of my life, Lord, be glorified today!

No comments:

Post a Comment