Monday, February 21, 2011

A Sign of Maturity

Scripture:

Not many should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive a stricter judgment;

for we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a mature man who is able to control his whole body.
James 3:1-2


Observation:

A paraphrase might read like this:

Don’t aim to be one who teaches others concerning the things of God, for teachers are more accountable when they do wrong, and everyone makes mistakes. Anyone who doesn’t make mistakes in her speech is perfect, mature, complete, a consummate example of integrity, who is able to hold in check (restrain) her whole body.


Application:

1) I am responsible to do what God is calling me to do, not aim for something I consider to be “more” important. I need to trust completely His plan for His Kingdom and my life.

2) Everyone makes mistakes in their spiritual journeys.

3) A sign of maturity is not making mistakes in what we say. Being able to always control one’s tongue is indicative of a mature (complete) self-control.


Prayer:

Father, I give my tongue to You today. May everything I say be gracious, loving, and designed to build up those around me! Help me, I pray. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment