Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Marker of Useless Faith

Scripture:

Foolish man! Are you willing to learn that faith without works is useless?

Wasn’t Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?

You see that faith was active together with his works, and by works, faith was perfected.
James 2:20-22


Observation:

We can SAY we believe, but if we don’t “walk the talk” (so to speak), then our so-called “faith” is useless.

That’s a sobering statement.

Useless. The New Oxford American Dictionary defines useless as “not fulfilling or not expected to achieve the intended purpose or desired outcome.

God desires our faith to be acted on in our daily lives.

God loves us so much He acted by sending the perfect sacrifice to once and for all pay for our sins.

The only logical response to that is to love Him and others enough to spur us to action, also.


Application:

“Useless faith” is marked by apathy (specifically, lack of action). Faith and action go hand in hand. I must act on the promptings of the Holy Spirit. In order to hear HIs prompting, I must confess and repent of any known sin, and spend time every day throughout the day listening to Him. AND I MUST OBEY when He prompts me. Delayed obedience is disobedience. Disobedience is sin. And sin keeps God’s children from fellowship with Him. Without fellowship, I cannot sense the prompting of His Spirit


Prayer:

“Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” Amen.

(Psalm 139:23-24 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment