Friday, January 21, 2011

Transience of Wealth

Scripture:

The brother of humble circumstances should boast in his exaltation;

but the one who is rich [should boast] in his humiliation, because he will pass away like a flower of the field.

For the sun rises with its scorching heat and dries up the grass; its flower falls off, and its beautiful appearance is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will wither away while pursuing his activities.

James 1:9-11

Observation:

John Wesley said a most effective remedy against double-mindedness is rejoicing, and the humble (poor) [wo]man can rejoice because she is a child of God and an heir to glory! He also said the rich should be humbled by [her] true condition, that life here is like a flower - beautiful, but transient. There is certainty that this life will suddenly end.


Application:

True humility is understanding who I am. Who I am can only be understood in the context of who the LORD is and the grace that He has extended to me. All that I have in this life is temporary and should be held loosely, because it is all the LORD’s and is only entrusted to me for a time.

BY THE GRACE OF GOD I have been redeemed from my sinful self.
BY THE GRACE OF GOD I am an heir to glory.
BY THE GRACE OF GOD I will live with Him forever.
BY THE GRACE OF GOD I continue to live in this life. Every blessing I have and all that I am in Christ is only
BY THE GRACE OF GOD.

Prayer:

Thank You, Father, for grace! You give me so much even though I don’t deserve it. Teach me to live and breathe in You and to love others and extend grace to them like You do. AMEN.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penney, just stopping by to wish a great weekend.
    (((hugs))
    katia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I so enjoyed looking down through your posts on James! It's wonderful how you are sharing it via your blog!!! Keep it up - it's so encouraging!
    Much Love,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete