Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Are Cravings Sin?

Scripture:

Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and when sin is fully grown, it gives birth to death.
James 1:15


Observation:

According to Thayer’s Bible Dictionary, the word “desire” has been translated from a Greek word that means “craving” or “longing” and the word “conceived” is translated from a word meaning “seize as a prisoner” (implication - not letting go). So, by letting myself hold onto a craving or longing, instead of turning it over to God, that is sin.

Sin can occur in both thought and deed. It seems like the line is very blurry. At what point am I “holding on” to a temptation/craving/longing? After 10 seconds? 30 seconds? 1 minute? 5 minutes?

I think Keith Drury’s article “Is It a Sin to Drink Beer?” has a pertinent question to ask ourselves.... He says the question better considered is “does it contribute to godliness?”

Rather than focus on the desire and how long I can spend thinking about something before it is sin, it’s far better to be intentional about thinking about the things that contribute to godliness. Things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, of moral excellence, and praiseworthy (Phil 4:8).


Application:

Today, I must choose to think on the things that contribute to godliness. And I need to consider, is there anything keeping me from fully experiencing life in Jesus today? “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.” (I Corinthians 6:12 NASB) As James said of himself in verse 1 of this chapter, I am “a slave to God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.” Nothing, no thing is to master me. I belong to Him alone!


Prayer:

Father, I commit my thought life completely to You, today. I don’t want anything to disrupt the communion I have with You! Protect my thoughts from the darts of the enemy. Help me to think on the things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, of moral excellence, and praiseworthy! Draw me nearer!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for encouraging us to put faith to feet by moving in the direction of godliness. According to 2 Peter 1:3-4 we can escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

    ReplyDelete