Monday, January 24, 2011

Blessed Enduring

Scripture:

Blessed is a man who endures trials, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that He has promised to those who love Him.

James 1:12

Observation:

After looking up several words found in this verse in the Greek Lexicon based on Thayer’s and Smith’s Bible Dictionary, I wrote the following paraphrase of James 1:12:

Happier is the woman who bears adversity or affliction bravely and calmly, because when she has shown herself to be genuine and a woman of integrity she will obtain for herself eternal blessedness, the absolute fullness of life that belongs to God, which He has announced that He will voluntarily give to those who welcome Him into their lives and love Him dearly.


Application:

I confess that I am guilty of complaining when faced with different kinds of adversity. In those times, I need to learn to look beyond the immediate difficulties encountered in this life, and remember that God WILL “cause all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28 NASB). He has plans for me, and His way is the best way! When focusing on this, I will find many, many reasons for giving thanks instead of expressing ingratitude.


Prayer:

Forgive me, Father, for complaining in trials! Give me Your strength to endure, help me pass the test! I desire to glorify You with all of my life. Thank You for the promise of eternal life with You!

1 comment:

  1. Penney, I love your interpretation of this verse. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete