Thursday, June 16, 2011

King Saul

I Samuel 8-10


Observation:

The people of Israel wanted a king “like other nations” instead of judges. They asked Samuel to appoint for them a king. Samuel was displeased with the request, but took it to the LORD, who told Samuel the people were rejecting God, not Samuel, so Samuel was to give them what they wanted and to inform them of the consequences of their choice. Saul was selected by God to be the first king of Israel. When Saul was to be crowned king, he hid among the baggage. Saul’s selection was not met with approval by all the people, and some openly disrespected him, but he chose to ignore them.


Interpretation:

The people of Israel were unhappy with the way God was choosing to lead them, and they asked for something different. They presumed to know better than God did. God, in His love for them, allowed them to both have what they were asking for and to live with the consequences. He offered a better way, but did not force them to accept it.


Application:

God has a perfect plan for my life. He has given me salvation and has a purpose for me. He will not force Himself on me, however. If I choose to follow something different than His perfect plan for me, He will allow me to do that. He also will allow me to experience the consequences. Thankfully, He also offers forgiveness and restoration!

No comments:

Post a Comment