Thursday, June 2, 2011

Crossing the Jordan

Scripture:

Joshua 3 - 4


Observation:

Joshua says to the people of Israel:

“For the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan for you until you passed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red Sea, which He dried up for us until we passed over, so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever.” Joshua 4:23-24

The people of Israel that crossed the Jordan river on dry land were NOT the same people that crossed the Red Sea on dry land 40 years earlier. Joshua used the stones of remembrance to remind the children of Israel that their parents also were miraculously transported through a large body of water. He does this in the same place where he tells them to tell their children about the miracles God did for them.

I find it interesting that God began and ended the wilderness journey with the people crossing a large body of water on dry land. :)

The stones of remembrance were symbols to remind people of God’s great love and care for them. They were to be a reminder to both the people that crossed the Jordan and to their descendants. We also see symbols in our lives today that are intended to be a reminder of God’s love, care, redemption, power, etc.


Application:

Three questions to prayerfully consider:

1) What kind of a “living stone” am I? (see I Peter 2:1-9)
2) Am I letting my life speak for God?
3) What reminders am I leaving for future generations?


Prayer:

Father, I have tasted that You are good! I long for pure, spiritual milk. And I long to reflect the goodness, mercy, and love of You to my daughter and others in the generations to come. Help me reflect You clearly, I pray! In Jesus’ Name, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment