Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Golden Calf

Scripture:

Exodus 32 - 34


Observation:

There is A LOT in this passage. Moses ascends the mountain to spend time with God. The people tire of waiting for Moses and complain to Aaron. Aaron makes them a golden calf to worship. God tells Moses about it and threatens to wipe out the people. Moses intercedes on the peoples’ behalf. Moses descends from the mountain with two stone “tablets of the testimony,” sees the people celebrating in front of the idol, and breaks the tablets. He is angry with the people and punishes them severely - some people are killed. Then Moses asks God to forgive them. God sends a plague on them and calls them “stiff-necked.” Moses intercedes again, and God renews His covenant with His people (and writes upon two more stone tablets after Moses cuts them).


Application:

The parts of this passage that particularly resonate with me are the following verses:

Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to His friend (33:11a)

And the LORD said to Moses, “This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” (33:17)

When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know the the skin of his face shone because he had been talking to God. (34:29)


THAT is the kind of relationship I want to have with the Lord God!


Prayer:

The more I seek You,
The more I find You.
The more I find You,
The more I love You.

I want to sit at Your feet,
Drink from the cup in Your hand,
Lean back against You and breathe,
Feel Your heartbeat.

This love is so deep,
It’s more than I can stand.
I melt in Your peace,
It’s overwhelming!

(By Zach Neese)


No comments:

Post a Comment