Sunday, May 29, 2011

Crossing the Red Sea

Scripture:

Exodus 13:17-14:31

Especially verse 14 of chapter 14:
The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.


Observation:

The people were finally free! They were following the pillar (cloud by day, fire by night) and were led straight to a place where their freedom was going to be ripped from them because Pharaoh’s army was coming! There would be no escape, BUT GOD. And God did provide the way of escape so that He would “get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, and the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD” (14:4b).

As has often been the case in my own life (and in yours, too, most likely!) the way of escape looked nothing like what Israel might have expected. God made a path through the sea! That is a miraculous way of escape. Before He did so, however, the people started to panic and Moses told them not to be afraid, but to trust God. Moses basically said they wouldn’t have to do anything except “shut up and wait:” “The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent” (14:14).


Application:

The enemy was coming against Israel. Israel had done nothing to deserve the attack. Pharaoh had sent them away. Israel was following God’s leading. Still, they were under attack. This happens to us today. Jesus said we would have trouble in this world. His words in the gospels are full of instructions to do things like love our enemies, turn the other cheek, walk an extra mile, and give away the clothes we are wearing.

Today’s attacks don’t tend to be physical (in our culture). They tend to be things like barbed words, gossip, lies, and broken relationships. When these things happen, Exodus 14:14 is a fantastic reminder that I do NOT need to defend myself. God will take care of me. I need only be silent. (The KJV says “keep your peace.”)


Prayer:

Father, forgive me for the times I’ve tried to (or just wanted to!) fight my own battles. Help me to be silent as I wait for Your deliverance. Thank You for Your faithfulness to deliver me!

No comments:

Post a Comment