Monday, August 13, 2012

Godliness

The next characteristic we’re going to consider is godliness. The Strong’s Concordance definition for godliness (eusebeia) is:



eusebeia
- reverence, respect, piety towards God, godliness



Supplementing our faith with virtue, knowledge, self-control, and steadfastness has NOT been something we’ve done in our own strength - it’s in Christ’s strength that we’ve been able to “exercise” these “muscles.” As we practice steadfastness, we learn more and more to rely on God. Godliness - a reverence and respect, a piety - is recognition that our strength comes from God, and God alone!



Simply put, the more we practice our faith, and the more we strengthen (in Christ’s power) the “muscles” we’ve talked about so far, the more we will recognize Who He is, and the more we will know - truly, deeply KNOW - that God is MUCH BIGGER than we can imagine. With that knowledge, our reverence and respect - and humility and devotion - will increase.



Until next time, consider … Who is God? For some jumping off points, visit the following links from blb.org:



Alphabet on What God is to His People - Part 1


Alphabet on What God is to His People - Part 2



The Names of God in the OT - Intro


El-Shaddai


El Elyon


Adonai


Yahweh


Jehovah Nissi


Jehovah Raah


Jehovah Rapha



2 comments:

  1. I have always loved looking more closely at the names of God. He is all of those things in one AMAZING God! I love to focus on the name that fits whatever situation that I am in. If I am hurting, I focus on Jehovah Rapha. I especially love Jehovah Mekaddishkem - the Lord who Sanctifies...I focus on Him when I think that I can do everything on my own...without His sanctification, I am nothing and I am unable to sanctify myself. I need Him. I need to remind myself of that need every single minute of every single day...

    Good stuff, Penney, good stuff...

    Keep it coming!
    <3 Bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! Meditating on the Names of God is so very powerful....

      Delete