Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Changes

Wow. It’s been a really, REALLY long time since there’s been any activity here at Better Things.

I do apologize.

When taking on a mentorship role for the Bible in 90 Days program, it was my intention to blog twice per week. Instead, I found myself completely swamped with reading, mentorship responsibilities, and life as wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, and therapist - so blogging got put off for a day, then two, then a week.... You get the idea. :(

Then, a little over 5 weeks ago, I dropped out of the Bible in 90 Days program. My family experienced a sudden, very unexpected loss ~ my mother passed away in her sleep. We had no indication that Jesus would be calling her home just then. With the plethora of changes and the shock of it all, I could not continue the pace of the Bible in 90 days reading plan but was instead clinging to verses (sometimes phrases) of Scripture, trusting in God’s goodness and sovereignty even when life here on earth was NOT making sense.

Some of the verses I have been clinging to (emphases mine) include:

Psalm 34:18 The Message
If your heart is broken, you’ll find God right there; if you’re kicked in the gut, He’ll help you catch your breath.

Proverbs 16:19 ESV
The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

Isaiah 55:9 ESV
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher that your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.

Deuteronomy 30:19-20 ESV
I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore, choose life, that you and your offspring may life, loving the LORD your God, obeying His voice, and holding fast to Him, for He is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

And I Thessalonians 4:13-18.

I am so thankful my mom is with Jesus and I will get to see her again. Still, I miss her very much.

That being said, as I move further along in this journey of grief, you can start to expect some more activity here at Better Things. It is my intention (and I believe it is God’s plan for us) to resume the E100 challenge with the 50 New Testament readings sometime in the next couple of weeks. That study will take us through the middle of December and then we will start something else the first part of the year.

I am looking forward to resuming our studies together. :)

Hug your families. Tell them you love them. Appreciate the time you have with them. And thank God for the time He has given you with them. May God richly bless you and them!

Penney

No comments:

Post a Comment