Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Daniel in the Lions' Den

Scripture:

Daniel 6


Observation:

Daniel is a leader in King Darius’ kingdom “because an excellent spirit was in him” (v. 3). It was not because of what he had accomplished, but because of who he had become - the character he both possessed and displayed in his dealings with others. The other leaders tried to find fault with Daniel but couldn’t, so they attempted to manufacture a way to remove Daniel from power (and to take Daniel’s life!) by making his faith illegal. (We call this persecution.) Daniel responded to this persecution by continuing to pray to God. When Daniel’s violation of the new law was brought to the attention of the king, the king tried to find a loophole to avoid throwing Daniel to the lions, but none was to be found. The king, too, then “had” to resort to praying to Daniel’s God. God miraculous saved Daniel and brought Daniel’s enemies to justice. King Darius began to follow God, and ordered all his people to do so, too!


Application:

To worship God like Daniel did I need to:

1) be faithful in daily quiet times
2) work for my employer to the best of my ability
3) seek to be a woman of character from the inside out
4) continue to do what is right in the face of persecution
5) trust God with my life


Prayer:

Father, shine Your light in my heart and reveal the areas that are not yet fully surrendered to You. Please remove my human faults and replace them with Your fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control. Help me be faithful to You and to those whom You call me to serve. Make me a woman of character, who walks in a manner worthy of a child of Yours. And make me strong in the face of persecution, I pray. In Jesus’ Name, amen.


1 comment:

  1. Penny, I just love your comments and your thought process - checkin out your blog
    (from group 46) :)
    I'm up to date on my reading (day 4 yay) but, I haven't really been taking notes- I have been outlining and discussing points of interest with my 10 year old son. Your notes make me realize I really need to write down my thoughts! ty-

    ReplyDelete