Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Colossians 2:16-23 Holding Fast to Freedom


What is your title for this passage?  And what is one thing God has taught you in your study of these verses?

For our study of this passage, let’s try a new approach... it’s a form of journaling called “SOAP” (which stands for Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer).  Here’s my SOAP of these verses:

Scripture:  
“Therefore, let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.  These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.  Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.

If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations - ‘Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch’ (referring to things that all perish as they are used) - according to human precepts and teachings?  These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.”

Observations:
1) The Sabbath and the festivals were a reflection of the coming salvation of man, which was provided through Christ.
2)  Christ is the Head of the Body (the Church) and He nourishes, unites, and teaches us...resulting in spiritual growth that cannot be experienced by following man made rules, traditions, and expectations.
3) We are to “hold fast” to the Head (Christ).  “Hold” means “use strength” to “seize or retain.”
4)  Christ’s death (and dying with Him) freed us from the bonds of sin, and from the bonds of human expectations, so why do people act as if we are still enslaved (bound)?
5)  Following rules may make someone seem wise and holy, but rules in no way stop one from sin or cause growth / spiritual maturity.
6)  True freedom comes from following Christ and Christ only, not in keeping the traditions of man.
7)  Once someone has tasted freedom in Christ, why do some then turn back to the rules, regulations, and expectations of others?

Application:
Questions to ponder:
Have I been guilty of letting go of (or not “holding fast” to) the freedom Christ has given to me? Have I equated human expectations of me with His expectations?  Am I walking in bondage instead of experiencing the freedom Christ has freely given me?  Am I growing and maturing in Him?  

Prayer:
Father God, forgive me for times when I have embraced tradition and man-made expectations instead of You, for times when I’ve let the fear of judgment of other people impact my obedience of Your call.  Help me to follow hard after You and seek to do Your will in all things.  I pray You would be glorified in me each day.  I love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment