Saturday, December 4, 2010

HOPE

This week's Scripture readings:

Isaiah 7:14
Luke 1:26-38
Matthew 1:18-24




What is hope?  We use the word in so many contexts.  Think for a minute.  What are some ways you use the word “hope?”  Here are some of mine that came to mind:
I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
I hope your doctor’s appointment goes well.
I hope you enjoy your weekend.
I hope to see you soon.

There are others, for sure!  As I look over my list, I see I often use “hope” more like “wish.”  To identify the distinction between the two words, I turned to Strong’s Dictionary and the New Oxford American Dictionary.  After reviewing the information, I’ve concluded that “wish” implies desiring something to happen without necessarily expecting that it will.  “Hope” implies a sense of expectation (and trust) that it WILL happen.  (Hope can also involve waiting expectantly until something happens.)  

In this first week of Advent, we focus on the hope of the coming of Jesus Christ.  In this season, many are celebrating and many others are hurting.  Whichever side of the spectrum you fall in, hope (wait expectantly and trust)  in Him.  He loves you and has a plan for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment